Friday, December 10, 2010

Yuletide Insights

It's literally cold in here. I'm, as always, sitting comfortably in my office chair with the two split type air conditioning units continuously providing some cold air in the office which are just behind me. It is the usual work of those AC units from 7 in the morning until 6 in the evening which most of the time makes us wear our jackets. And since, I have no much work to do yet as my boss is out for some field verification in Bohol, let me share some insights for the season.

There are only 14 days more to count before finally celebrating Christmas! This will be my second yuletide celebration in the company as a contractual employee. I just hope that my wish be granted before the year ends---and that is to be officially part of the state weather bureau as a permanent employee! I just hope so!


The giant Christmas tree beside Araneta Coliseum

When we talk of the yuletide season, we often see a lot of decorations, festivities and other activities that super-impose the coming of Christmas! Anywhere I go, there are signs and symbols of Christmas! First and foremost are the towering christmas trees in malls or any establishment as well as of course here in the office and nearby. Celebrating the spirit of the season with all the well-lighted bulbs ranging from different colors of the RAINBOW to gleaming combinations of those colors. Santa Claus is once again expected by children as well as adults of gifts! 

CAROLING
Christmas carols are also heard every night. One particular instance is in my apartment unit, children aged 3 to 12 are always in front of the door singing songs of joy and merriment. They do this in a daily habit which sometimes irritate me and my housemates. So when they are there ready to sing songs on top of their varied voices, my housemates shouts "patawad" for the children are already making noise. We tell them to just come back on Christmas day! So harsh of us but we believe that they will just keep coming back and depend on the little amount we might give. Not to mention, most of these kids are street children who sniff rugby or other drug. The money they incur from caroling are used to buy these vices instead of buying food.

SANTA CLAUS and JESUS
Going back to Santa Claus. I have receive a text message that reads this way:
Jesus: You know Santa, I envy you.
Santa: Oh, but why Lord Jesus?
Jesus: Because during my birthday, the people remembers you not me.

Sad but true. Most if not all of us often associate christmas with Santa Claus undermining the true reason for the celebration--the birth of Jesus Christ. The kids especially are brought up to the idea that they must behave well so that Santa will give them presents during Christmas eve. As years pass by, the spirit of the season becomes different from what it should be.

SIMBANG GABI
On the other hand, we are always reminded of the real reason for the celebrating the season through our religious traditions in the Roman Catholic church. The unique "dawn mass' or simbang gabi from 16-25 of December is quite a pilgrimage. I remember waking up at around 3am and prepare for the dawn mass which starts at 4am. My siblings, cousins and I walk from our house to the church for around 30 minutes just to complete the nine dawn masses. It was fun while walking as we tease each other reminding of our attendance. This is especially true when the priest mentions the names of those departed who are offered prayers during the mass and we have "tukayos" or same name being mentioned.  Once the mass is through, people flock at the bakery shops to buy "hot pandesal" for breakfast. It was hard to get through the thick line towards the front but patience is a virtue! I hope I can complete the dawn mass once again after 7 years since the last time I made it!

MANO PO NINONG, MANO PO NINANG
Friends, ladies and gentlemen who are godmothers and godfathers, it's your time to show off! Kids it's time to raid your ninong's and ninang's houses. By the way its December and they already have a lot of bonus. I remember my godfather told me before, "don't worry if I don't give you gifts every christmas, just come to me when you are about to go to college and I will support your tuition". But when I got to college, I'm already ashamed to ask my godfather for that.hehe As of the moment, my three nephews and a niece are my godchildren. Most of their wishes come true everytime I go home.



FAMILY REUNION
Of course celebrating the season by yourself is quite melancholic. It was also a tradition to be always complete in a family during the Christmas Eve's Noche Buena. And our family is always observing this custom. Some sort of a family reunion always happen! 

Days come closer and I am excited to coming home for the season! Have a merry christmas and a fruitful new year ahead everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment